Middleton Robotics Parents, Students, Sponsors, & Volunteers:
It has been a while since my last Middleton Robotics Club newsletter and a lot has happen in the last couple of months. Both of our VEX teams (Minotaur, and Theseus) received bids and attended the Florida State Championship. This is a significant accomplishment given this is just our second year of competing in VEX robotics tournaments. Congratulations to Minotaur and Theseus team captains, students, and coaches. Our FRC team attended their first tournament at the University of Central Florida and gained valuable experience with their robot during the Orlando FRC Regional. Next stop of the FRC team is the South Florida Regional April 3-5 at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center. All three of our FTC teams (Minotaur, Maelstrom, and Masquerade) have qualified for the FTC World Championships in St. Louis, MO by making it to the alliance rounds at the South Super-Regional in San Antonio, Texas. This is a significant accomplishment as I do not remember every seeing three teams at the FTC World Championships from the same school. Congratulations to the captains, students, and coaches of FTC teams Minotaur, Maelstrom, and Masquerade.
With only two events remaining in the 2013-14 robotics season, this email has a number of updates so please make sure you review the full email:
1. FTC Parent/Student Meeting – April 4, 2014 at 5:30pm
2. Sponsor Appreciation Night – May 16, 2014 at 6pm
3. Car Wash Fundraiser – April 6 and 13
4. Robot Demonstrations at Bay Area Manufacturers Association (BAMA) – June 18, 2014
5. Club Leadership Application for 2014-15 Season
6. Movers for Moms
7. Final Parents Meeting – May 23, 2014
8. End of Year Party – May 25, 2014
1. FTC Parent/Student Meeting – April 4, 2014 at 5:30pm – We only have a few weeks remaining before our FTC teams will be traveling to St. Louis, Missouri for the FIRST World Championship event. Therefore, we are planning to hold a meeting for the students and parents that will be attending the FTC World Championships. The purpose of this meeting is to validate travel plans and review plans. If you will be attending the FTC World Championships, please make an effort to attend this meeting. The meeting will be held in Mr. Mead’s classroom.
2. Sponsor Appreciation Night – May 16, 2014 at 6pm – The Middleton Robotics Club has had another very successful season and all of this would not have been possible without the help of our sponsors and many volunteers. Sponsors, please save the date May 16th, 6-7pm for the Middleton Robotics Club sponsor appreciation event. This is our chance to thank you for your support and for you to meet the students and see their robots in action. We will start the evening with a short presentation about the clubs 2013-14 season followed by the team introductions and robot demonstrations. More details about the event will be provided in and email in the next 3-4 weeks.
3. Car Wash Fundraiser – April 6 and 13 – To ensure that we are able to start the 2014-15 robotic season with funds in the account to pay for early season expenses, we need to continue our fundraising activities and have scheduled car washes for April 6th and April 13th at the Pollo Tropical restaurant on Dale Mabry in the Target parking lot that is just north of Bearrs Avenue. The address is 15298 N. Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL. The car was will start at 9am and end at 3pm. Please reply to this email and let me know if you will be able to attend either or both of the car washes.
4. Robot Demonstrations at Bay Area Manufacturers Association (BAMA) – June 18, 2014 – The Bay Area Manufacturers Association (BAMA) will be on June 18, 2014 and will include an overview and demonstration of the Middleton High School robotics club robots. Coaches and captains, please plan on taking your robots home this summer to ensure they are available for demonstration at events like this one during the summer.
5. Club Leadership Application for 2014-15 Season – It is hard to believe that we are approach the end of another robotics season. Therefore, we need to start planning for next year’s club leadership. Therefore, any of the existing club students can apply for positions as Team Captains, Club President, or Club Vice President. Any student that would like to apply for a club leadership position must complete the Robotics Team Lead Application and give it to Mr. Mead or send it to me through email. We will be selecting the club leadership in late April and therefore need all applications to be submitted no later than April 11, 2014.
6. Movers for Moms – The Middleton Robotics Club will again participate in the Movers for Moms initiative that will be collecting items to be donated to women living at The Springs of Tampa Bay on Mother’s Day. I have attached two documents that provide more details about initiative and the items we will collect. Please bring items to the robotics classroom for donation prior to May 7th when the items will be picked up by Two Men and a Truck. The Spring Of Tampa 2014 Wish List
Movers for Moms
7. Final Parents Meeting – May 23, 2014 – The final parents meeting of the 2013-14 robotics season is tentatively scheduled for May 23, 2014. The focus of the meeting will be to review results from this year, formally announce the club leadership for the 2014-15 season, and discussion summer fundraising activities. I will send out another email in a few weeks with additional details about the meeting.
1. End of Year Party – May 25, 2014 – To celebrate the success of the Middleton Robotics Club, we will again hold an end of year party at the Wolf’s in Odessa, FL to celebrate another outstanding year. Please hold this date as I work to finalize the plans and date for the big party.